Wednesday, March 21, 2007

My Motivation: Why Real Estate Is Important to Me

The reason that I have focused my blog on developments in real estate is because I believe strongly in a good life. More specifically, I believe that that good life revolves heavily around family and community. The real estate industry is often viewed simply as a means to an end, a way for professionals to make money. This might be true at times, but I think that real estate has a lot more to offer than that. I was fortunate enough to have been raised within a great community, and an even greater family, one not too far from the one pictured to the left. My family life is the reason that real estate initially appealed to me. I know that, for me at least, growing up in such a comfortable and safe environment is the reason why my life turned out so well. I don’t think its selfish to want a good life for yourself, but that doesn’t mean a healthy balance cant be reached between providing yourself with a good life, and providing the same for others. I can’t think of a better way of doing exactly that than through real estate.

The topics that I have discussed in my blog so far have involved new developments in the real estate industry. It has been my intention to focus my posts on topics that will have a big effect on the industry, on homeowners and buyers, for a long time to come. There are so many tools becoming available to everyone, mostly through the Internet, that make it a possibility for people to get the best out of their living situation. Whether it is an easier way to search for homes, a better method of choosing a real estate agent or other technologies being developed, it seems like the real estate industry is continuously becoming more focused on the consumer.

There are a lot of negatives that have always been associated with the industry: the most prominent regarding the amount of money necessary for someone to own a house. This is obviously a big issue, and it has always played an important role in those willing and able to own homes. I’m not saying that I have an answer for this problem, I’m not sure if there even is an answer. However, I would like to think that there is a way to offer cheaper housing with a safer environment for families, possibly through focusing costs on things other than home production. If new communities could focus on things like security or community programs, a safer family environment could be created in historically less safe areas. With that said, a new home in a new community is always going to be an expensive investment, regardless of what socioeconomic class you fall under, but I can’t think of a better way to spend your money.

It seems like the industry as a whole has started to drift away from the values that it should have found most important. However, that doesn’t mean that it wasn’t, and still isn’t, doing good things for the world. In my internship for a real estate development company last summer, most of my job was spent driving around Southern California looking through newly developed, or still developing communities. Whether it is important to them or not, these companies are developing communities that will provide parents and children with a safe and happy environment in which to live. Even though these communities were located in different areas, all with very distinctive demographics, I saw the great life that they were offering mostly new families. This is something I have always dreamed of having for myself, and I would like to make that dream a possibility for others.

No comments: