Sunday, February 11, 2007

Online Education: One More Way That Technology Is Affecting Real Estate

This week, rather than creating my own post, I have decided to focus on a couple of posts written by other people that I found both interesting and helpful. The topic that both of these posts relate to is online education, a trend that has been growing in popularity over the last couple of years. The classroom has become a thing of the past, and the picture to the left is a perfect example of a new type of classroom, the computer. The first post is regarding online education in general, and whether or not it is the best means to receive an education. The second post that I found is more specifically about the role that online education is playing in the real estate industry, focusing mostly on the positive changes that online education is bringing to the industry. I have included below the links to each of these posts, as well as displayed below the comments I made to each of the writers. I hope you find these posts as interesting as I did.

Post #1: "Pros And Cons Of Online Education"
By, Harris Jhosta

Comment:
I am currently a junior at the University of Southern California, and am planning on getting involved in the real estate industry after I graduate. It seems like online education is becoming a very popular method in learning about real estate, as it is with every other industry. You seem to be more on the pro side of the argument, but I was wondering if you thought that anything would be lost through an online education. You said in your post that it might be looked down upon, or not understood by employers, but do you think there is a good reason for that, other than the fact that it is a new and somewhat unknown means of education? Are there things that can only be learned through the classroom, like communication skills or working well in groups? One of the more important things that I have gotten out of my time at USC has been the ability to work well with others, and allocate different jobs within a group. This is an important aspect of professional life that could not be fully taught through an online education. There seems to be no question that online education is more convenient and less expensive, but could there be a limit to how popular and respected online education could become?

Post #2: "Are You Learning Online?"
By, Dave Shaut

Comment:
I am currently a junior at the University of Southern California, and am planning on concentrating in real estate development next year. As of right now, I would like to get involved in real estate in some way or another after I graduate, although I’m not quite sure exactly what I would like to do. It seems like postgraduate online education is a really practical and much more convenient means of learning about the real estate industry. Your post focuses only on the positives of online education, which there seem to be a lot of. However, I was wondering if you could explain some of the reasons why online education isn’t as popular as it could be. What are some of the negative aspects that come with learning about real estate online, rather than through the classroom? It seems like it would be hard to regulate all of the online educational programs to ensure they remain creditable. Are there certain things about the real estate industry specifically that could be lost or harder to understand if learned through the Internet, such as communication skills or working well in groups? Any advice or information you could give me would be very much appreciated, thanks.

No comments: